In the beginning
Ken Jennings the all-time Jeopardy! Champion writes a
semi-regular column for the Sunday Parade magazine called Kennections. It features a series of questions which all
have something in common.
For example:
An adult male Kangaroo is called…
Nickname of original ESPN studio host Chris Berman…
Name of the Indiana Pacers anamorphic mascot…
Sooner fans of the University of Oklahoma…
The former Cincinnati Bengal quarterback and current CBS NFL
Today panel member…
The answer; all are Boomers.
I too am a boomer…a member of the American generation born
between 1946 and 1964. I am a Baby Boomer. The aforementioned Berman and Esiason are “Boomers”…Jennings
is not! Arthur Alden who wrote the words
to Boomer Sooner in 1905 was also not a Boomer…but he was the son of an
original Sooner boomer who originally homesteaded the Oklahoma Territory.
Baby Boomers are the largest generation of Americans born in
U.S. history. We gave the world hippies,
and free love. Divorce rates exploded
among our generation and we created the largest amount of personal wealth on
record. We are also the first generation
to actually be friends with our children.
It is for that reason I embark on this journey into the
blogosphere. As a result of my own divorces I am not as
close to my own children as I would like to be.
I guiltily wear the cloak of responsibility for this inattention to some
of the most important people in my life.
From a Quixotic childhood to a 30 year career in broadcast journalism
my life has been enriched by adventures and experiences seldom shared with
family and friends. In the words of
Carole King (no relation)
My life has been a tapestry of rich
and royal hue
An everlasting vision of the ever changing view
A wondrous woven magic in bits of blue and gold
A tapestry to feel and see, impossible to hold.
An everlasting vision of the ever changing view
A wondrous woven magic in bits of blue and gold
A tapestry to feel and see, impossible to hold.
From a brief conversation with my grandfather
days after his death to my boyhood idylls along the banks of the Millcreek to
an adult fairy tale that took me to two Olympic Games and a pair of NBA championships
I have truly lived a rich and full life. It is my intention in the upcoming
days, weeks and years to use this space as a forum to share with anyone who
wishes to look into this adventure I call my life. But it is especially aimed at a particular target
audience…my children. I want them to better know who I am so that when the time
comes for me to leave this mortal existence I can leave the way I came in; with
a boom.
No comments:
Post a Comment